Our good mate Chef Samantha Gowing is brilliantly skilled in the kitchen and ultra-wise when it comes to culinary creations. She embraces all things healthy in her hands-on Food as Medicine workshops at the Byron Bay Cooking School (and worldwide).
We just love Sam’s Japanese inspired salad, (pictured below) featuring buckwheat, mushrooms & wakame, prepared with flair on our Byron Bay chopping board .
1 cup buckwheat kernels (kasha)
2 cups water
50g dried wakame seaweed
1 tablespoon macadamia oil
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 garlic clove, grated
1 ½ cups assorted Japanese mushrooms
1 cup green vegetables – asparagus, snow peas, sugar snaps
¼ cup almonds
4 tablespoons tamari
20g black sesame seeds
Spring onions, sprouts and/or micro herbs
- Bring 2 cups of water to the boil, add buckwheat.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until tender and all water absorbed.
- Soak seaweed in a small amount of warm water to reconstitute.
- Heat oil in a large pan, add ginger, garlic and mushrooms.
- Sauté for 5 minutes. Add green vegetables, almonds and tamari.
- Transfer cooked buckwheat to a large mixing bowl.
- Add mushrooms, vegetables and fold in tahini mustard dressing.
- Serve up on a large platter and sesame seeds.
- Garnish with spring onions, sprouts and/or micro herbs.
For Sam’s perfect Tahini mustard dressing to accompany, go to FoodHealthWealth
Pics: Sam Gowing and Our Food Lens
Buy our chopping boards here